3 Ways to Improve Your Mood, Cognition, and Memory
Your brain is the largest and (arguably) the most important organ in your body -- without it, "you" cannot function! When stress, low moods, fatigue, and brain fog arise, your brain definitely needs support to function optimally.
Balanced Hormones and Your Brain
Balanced hormones and nutritional supplements can provide powerful mood, cognition, and memory support. How do hormones and supplements have an effect on your brain?
Here's how it works:
- Your brain is made up of trillions of nerve cells called neurons.
- The spaces between neurons are called synapses.
- These synapses act as communication pathways for chemicals called neurotransmitters, which relay information between brain cells.
- Neurotransmitters operate like a series of switches, turning on and off to activate neurochemical pathways in your nervous system - in the same way that hormones manage pathways in your endocrine system!
The nervous system operates and maintains all kinds of processes from stress management, to temperature regulation, to a woman's menstrual cycle (yes, that happens in the brain!). Hormones secreted by the hypothalamus, the pituitary, and the ovary work together to regulate a woman's menstruation.
The Dangers of Hormone Imbalance
Hormone imbalances can have serious effects on the brain. Concentrations of estrogens, progesterone, pregnenolone, testosterone, DHEA, and other hormones can be higher in the brain than in the bloodstream.
Hormones directly affect neurotransmitters, and neurotransmitters directly affect your memory and cognitive abilities.
Promote Lifelong Brain Health
Balanced hormones allow your brain to function at its best! A combination of bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) and targeted brain-compatible supplements offers the best approach for lifelong brain health. Some of those supplements include:
- Pregnenolone - Pregnenolone has been shown to support a balanced mood and promote cognitive health by modulating the transmission of messages between neurons, influencing learning and memory processes.
- Magnesium - Magnesium plays a role in more than 300 metabolic processes, and is vital for healthy cognition, including long and short-term memory, learning, stress management, and sleep.
- Vitamin D - Low levels of Vitamin D have been shown to sharply increase the risk of dementia.
- Omega-3s - Omega-3s have beneficial effects on brain cell structure.
3 Keys to a Healthy Brain
Keep Your Hormones Balanced with BHRT
To keep your neurotransmitters nourished and functioning well, one of the most important steps is to maintain optimal hormone balance using bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT).
This ensures that your brain receives optimal amounts of the hormones that it needs to function well. Have your levels of estrogen, progesterone, pregnenolone, testosterone, and DHEA checked regularly, and re-balance your levels only with bioidenticals, which have the same "relative binding affinity" (RBA) for the hormones your body naturally produces.
Have your Blood Checked for Nutrient or Hormone Deficiencies
Talk to your medical provider about any brain-related nutrient or hormone deficiencies that are revealed in your bloodwork. This helps determine which supplements will best boost your brain health, such as Magnesium, Pregnenolone, Omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, and various antioxidants.
For example, research continues to show a link between low Vitamin D and dementia, so keeping adequate levels is important!
Engage in regular physical exercise
As a general rule of thumb, "Anything that is good for your heart is also good for your brain." Exercise provides more oxygen to the brain and also helps release hormones that aid in the growth of new brain cells. Here are several interesting studies that show how exercise can improve memory and cognition:
- “Exercise 4 hours After a Learning Session Improves Memory”
- “Exercise Enhances Brain Fitness”
- “Physical Activity Keeps White Matter in Shape”
Using BHRT and key supplements, as well as engaging in regular physical exercise can make a significant difference in how your brain functions as you age.
We are Here to Help
If you have questions about how to improve your brain health, give us a call at the Ageless & Wellness Medical Center! You can check out our brain-boosting supplements in person by visiting the Wellness Store in Jacksonville Beach, Florida, or anytime at our online store. We wish you WELL!