Body Detox: What is it and Why Do I Need it? June 20, 2019
Toxins are everywhere. We eat, drink, absorb, and breathe them every day. But what does that mean for your body and what can you do about it? We’ll outline the answers to those questions below.
What Does it Mean to Have Toxins in Your Body?
Toxins are harmful substances that your body is exposed to either acutely (single exposure) or chronically (repeatedly over time). If toxins build up in your body over time, they can harm your tissues and organs. Many of the toxins that we are exposed to every day come from pesticides used on our food, farmed fish, and even the plastic packaging on our consumables. Other lifestyle habits such as smoking, drug use or alcohol abuse are also large sources of harmful toxins.
But, food and drink is not the only way, we are exposed. Household cleaners, beauty products, plastic containers, and substances in the air are large culprits for exposing us to foreign chemicals and toxins. For many people, these substances are used weekly and even daily!
Thankfully, our bodies are created to protect themselves against foreign substances that can be harmful by breaking them down with enzymes and excreting them through bile. The liver is a star player in the process of metabolic detoxification. It’s the second largest organ (after the skin) and is responsible for removing toxins from our bloodstream and storing energy.
Anything that we consume is digested through the stomach and intestines and absorbed into the bloodstream. The liver then decides whether it should store the nutrients, release them back into the blood, or excrete toxins through urine or stool.
How Your Body Detoxifies Itself
Our metabolic detoxification is how our body processes unwanted chemicals and excretes them from our body. There are three phases of metabolic detoxification. Each phase is carried out by a group of enzymes, each with a specific role in the detox process.
Phase I: Generation of Water-Soluble Compounds
During this phase, lipid-soluble compounds (capable of dissolving in fats, oils, or fatty tissues) are transformed into more water-soluble compounds.
Phase II: Neutralization of Toxic Water-soluble Compounds
In this phase, water solubility is further increased and reactivity of phase I products decreases.
Phase III: Excretion of the Neutralized Compounds
Finally, in phase III, the water-soluble compounds from the cell are released into the bile for excretion.
The Role of Proper Nutrition
The role of nutrition in the detoxification process is twofold:
- The cleaner your diet, the fewer toxins your liver must contend with. By reducing the intake of toxins into the body, the liver will be able to function properly without becoming overwhelmed.
- Each enzyme in your liver has its own requirements for vitamins, minerals, and other substances as cofactors. By supplying everything these enzymes require, the detoxification process is maximized.
- Vitamins. Our formula provides activated B vitamins for enhanced bioavailability, including 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF) as Quatrefolic® for optimal folate utilization.
- N-acetyl cysteine (NAC). NAC is effective at reducing stress, particularly due to heavy metal toxicity.
- Milk thistle. The milk thistle derivative is an antioxidant that lowers the liver oxidative stress levels associated with toxin metabolism.
- Artichoke. Artichoke can stimulate bile flow, which is necessary for excretion during Phase III.
In addition to Body Detox as a supplement, we recommend that patients avoid foods that are highly processed and opt for natural and organic meat and produce as much as possible. Avoiding foods with high amounts of refined sugar or preservatives is a great choice for a healthier, more toxin-free lifestyle. Additionally, using safe, green home products and non-toxic personal care products can help reduce your exposure to substances that may be inhaled or absorbed.
Balance Your Detoxification and Stay Energized!
If you’re concerned that you may have an overabundance of toxins in your body, try our Body Detox supplement to improve your overall health and vitality!
Our supplements are high quality and pharmaceutical grade. Feel free to call us, we’d be happy to help! We wish you well!